Home Page | Archives

JUNE 2004

BOARD MEETING

Treasurer Bill Tennenbaum Gives Financial Update
Bill - One Delinquent Account
After open discussion with the owners, the meeting of The Regency Tower Board was called to order at 7:12 p.m. on Thursday, June 10, 2004 in the Meeting Room of The Regency Tower by the President.

Roll Call - The roll call showed the following Board Members present: Iris Anastasi, Eric Berkowitz, Dott Nicholson-Brown, Fern McBride, Bill Tennenbaum and Pablo Verol. Louise Collins was absent.

Secretary Fern McBride
Secretary Fern McBride
Reading of Minutes -
The minutes of the meeting of The Regency Tower Board of Directors held on May 6, 2004 were read. Eric Berkowitz made a motion to approve the minutes as read, seconded by Bill Tennenbaum, unanimously approved.

The President officially thanked Pablo Verol for the superb job he did at the last Board Meeting and for the great job he did as the Acting President during her two month leave of absence. The President and the Board appreciates Pablo and also apologized for not acknowledging him in the previous newsletter. The President also gave a big thanks to Eric Berkowitz for his efforts and hard work while she was away and during the entire period in keeping the driveway project going. He has been doing a great job. Plans to ask the Board to present Eric with "something" after the project has been completed.

Financial Report - The Treasurer, Bill Tennenbaum, reported the following: As of June 10, 2004 the Financial report can be read which is posted on the bulletin board in the mail room.

We currently have 1 delinquent account. It has just been foreclosed on and will go up for public auction next month. This represents less than a 1% delinquency rate.

A motion was made by Eric Berkowitz to accept the Treasurer's Report; seconded by Pablo Verol; unanimously approved.

Pablo Verol made a motion that although we currently operate within the guidelines of Florida statutes, he proposed the following change to Regency Tower Association Board Policies: All checks issued by Regency Tower Association must contain two signatures of approved Board Members before they can be released. This includes but is not limited to payroll checks, vendor checks and expense reimbursement checks. The motion was seconded by Fern McBride; unanimously approved.

Committee Reports - President Nicholson-Brown then requested the Committee Reports. Click Here to read each report in its entirety.

New Business - President Nicholson-Brown indicated that there was no New Business.

Announcements -

  • Hurricane season began officially June 1st. Everyone should make sure that if they go away for any length of time the furniture is removed from their balconies and their shutters are closed. If this is not done, the Association will do it and you will be charged for it. A survey will be made of those who have gone for the season and if their furniture is not in and shutters closed, we will do this and they will be charged.

  • In the past 4 years we've accomplished numerous projects and 99% of them have gone well. One has not - the waterfall in the entrance alcove. We recognize that it is not 100% to our standards and it will be removed. We are presently in the process of negotiating for a credit. At all times, we will be doing what is best for the Association.

  • Pablo Verol: Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a great group of dedicated people on this Board. With their dedication and hard work, they have made the Regency Tower the nicest building on Galt Ocean Drive. Mr. Eric Berkowitz does a tremendous job; Iris Anastasi, Fern McBride and Louise Collins have shown complete dedication. Last but not least, Dott Nicholson-Brown, the best President this building has ever had. Let us not forget our Treasurer, Bill Tennenbaum, and all the committee members who have shown a tremendous reservoir of talents which we have been blessed with. You ain't seen nothing yet! The nicest things are yet to come!

Adjournment - A motion was made by Eric Berkowitz and seconded by Bill Tennenbaum to adjourn the meeting at 7:45 p.m.; unanimously approved.

Fern McBride
Board Secretary

PRESIDENTS REPORT

JUNE 2004

  .: Aloha :.,
Regency Tower Board President Dott Nicholson-Brown I’m baaack! The two months away from the office was much needed and very much appreciated. For the past 10 years I’ve made it a point to take a cruise once each year even a short one to the Caribbean. Cruising across the Pacific was highly relaxing and enjoyable, especially the experience of crossing the International Date Line and living one 24 hour day twice. It was such fun that while still on board I booked one for next year although I’m still paying for this one. Oh well, we only live once!

The Round Table

Rafael asks about problem of owners exiting the three emergency fire doors
RAFAEL - NO EXIT!
June Meeting
- Owners/Members who attended the June Round Table were: Rafael Alleguez, Joe Anastasi, Betty Burns, Ron Forment, Tom Griffin, Dee Lanzillo, Ann Petroe and Martha Sellas. Members excused were: Laszlo Bandi, Shirley Hopkins and David Tinsley.

Betty mentioned the problem of Care Givers/Aides who do not speak or read English and consequently turn off the lights in Laundry Room while dryers are operating. Joe was asked to have Maintenance rewire the light so dryers are not affected when switch is off. (This has since been accomplished.)

Rafael mentioned the problem of owners exiting the three emergency fire doors. Joe responded that Security is alert to catch them and it has been better the past few months.

To All Residents – Do Not Use Fire Exit Doors to Exit Building. If you walk down the stairs you must exit at the 2nd floor and either take the elevator to the 1st floor or walk down the eastern stairs to the 1st floor.

Tom brought up the problem of shopping carts; taking the ones belonging to the Association over to Winn Dixie and bringing the Winn Dixie carts onto our property. He stated Security should not allow Winn Dixie carts onto the property. Much discussion ensued among the owners regarding both issues. The consensus was that they do not mind our carts being taken across the street as long as they are immediately emptied and returned to the Service elevators. Several suggestions were made regarding residents keeping our 14 carts in their apartments despite several requests not to do this. Suggestions ranged from having one cart per floor, signing out carts, locking carts or removing them entirely. Serious consideration is being given to removing all carts as a result of some neighbors continually keeping/storing carts in their units thereby causing hardship to others. If this is done, it will be necessary for everyone to purchase their own vertical carts from Winn Dixie, Target, K-Mart, etc. The second option will be to lock the carts as per the Luggage carts. Tom also suggested new key for the Exercise and Maintenance Rooms. Joe stated it would be cost prohibitive to add FOBS. Changing locks on the Maintenance room will be considered.

Dee mentioned the housecleaning inspections and the need for Rob to follow up. She also announced that we now have a window cleaner who only charges $2.00 per window. Maria & Phil Quiles, Tom & Dee have used him and state they are very satisfied. His name and phone number is: Don, Executive Cleaning, 954-382-9662.

Anne stated the sidewalk benches are "tacky." She was advised this is City property and their responsibility.

At our Galt Mile Advisory Council Meeting, this subject was discussed and buildings may get together and jointly maintain the ones in front or between the buildings.

Ron mentioned the water in the Pool drinking fountain being warm and that it could be moved closer to the beach. Joe advised the chiller from the indoor fountain will be placed in the Pool fountain when the new indoor fountain is installed. The suggestion for relocating is under advisement. Ron also brought up the subject of Elevator Doors and Frames being scratched and this could be included in the Common Hall area redecoration next year. He suggested protective strips at corners and reminded us that the Hallways and Elevator Lobby are common areas. Consequently the Association is required to decorate and assess the owners. (The Board is aware of this. All redecoration is scheduled for calendar year 2005).

Martha stated she is very pleased with the automatic on/off light switches in the Trash Rooms and she likes the new benches on either side of the Front Entrance door. Joe addressed the issue of cigarette butts at the North door. He will check into stationing an ash tray at that location.

Hurricane & Absentee Procedures

As most of you are aware, the Hurricane season officially begins June 1st and ends Nov. 30th. The Board placed an "Emergency Hurricane Procedures" booklet in all units a few years ago. If new owners did not receive it at the closing, please contact Carol in the Administrative Office. Experts state South Florida is overdue for a major hurricane, so do not be complacent in making necessary preparations. If you are away between June and November 30th and do not have Hurricane Impact windows, you must have your shutters closed, bring in all furniture and plants from balcony and perform absentee procedures such as turning off water, etc. (even a pebble becomes a dangerous missile in high winds). If this is not done, the Maintenance Department will perform the tasks and charge the pertinent fees. It is imperative that all residents (including in-house ones) prepare in advance. There is a sign-up list at the Security Desk for in-house owners needing shutters closed when a hurricane is expected. This will be done on a first-come first-serve basis to be accomplished after Maintenance completes the securing of the common property. Do not wait until the last minute!! The employees will be busily securing our interior and exterior property. After securing the property, employees will be sent home to prepare and protect their homes and families. Please, please, do not expect any of us to risk our lives in mid-storm because you failed to read your booklet and prepare.

Administration

Regarding Key FOBS, the exchange of keys has gone smoothly. It is requested that you bring in your Medeco keys in the morning and the FOBS will be ready the same day in the afternoon.

Cabanas

We have slowly transported our building and property into one of elegance over the past four years. Let’s keep it that way. Please voluntarily replace worn and tattered cabanas at your earliest opportunity. It is requested that all new cabanas be purchased in the same colors as the pool and patio furniture.

Vacations, Sojourns, Leaves, etc

Various Board members will be away over the summer. Louise has already flown the coup; Bill will fly away July 1st; Iris, Joe and Fern will skip away during the second week of July and I will run (as usual) around the last week of July. However, we all keep in touch via telephone and fax in addition to Eric and Pablo holding down the home front.

Silver Linings

I am closing by sending a very warm and appreciative thank you to all who sent and called with expressions of love and encouragement. Those words really, really help and it keeps me dedicated and open to the Higher Power and Guidance in using my abilities for the good of all. Now, all I have to remember is to have fun in the process.

Aloha – I love you
Dott

COMMITTEE REPORTS

JUNE 2004

Construction Committee
Eric Peter Berkowitz

Construction Committee Chair Eric Peter Berkowitz Gives Report
Eric Peter Berkowitz
Well Installed
Our new drainage system, supported by a 160-foot well, has been installed. Engineer Brian DeGiralmo, the architect of the new system, made several adjustments during the last week in May to the frame and grate levels above the various structures that were buried in our lower driveway. He inspected the exfiltration trenches that connect the catch basins and the well on May 31st, at which time the system was declared functional. The only remaining structural task is the installation of an extension on one of the two baffles in the well housing. This job, while necessary for statutory compliance, is not required for the system to function properly. Code regulations governing the system require that the State and the City of Fort Lauderdale approve the project’s result. The jurisdictional inspections are currently being arranged.

Attendant to developing a unique response to the 30 plus-year-old flooding problem; we had to assume the responsibility for navigating uncharted territory. We are one of the very few structures to install a well and drainage system after the fact. Both Jaffer, the well contractor, and Atlantis, the drainage system contractor, had to overcome obstacles that they never before faced. With the exception of one full day and two half days, the work was accomplished with minimal disruption to residents’ vehicular access. The installation of five major structures, the well and the 8-foot wide exfiltration trenches that connect them in such a small target area challenged every participant in this formidable venture. The unanticipated problems that surfaced had to be addressed “on the fly”. The usual methodologies available for new construction sites weren’t applicable for our project. We had to avoid disruption of the existing drainage system while creating and installing the new components. All these obstacles were addressed within the financial parameters of the original budget.

Click to SPS Web Site SPS has since remobilized and, consistent with the objectives established during the May 26th and June 2nd Progress Meetings, will complete the lower driveway and fulfill the balance of their contract. The mobilization plan is divided into two parts, the driveway and a “punch list” of construction compensations. Initially, all of their resources will be concentrated on the completion of the lower driveway and the North Deck west of the expansion joint. This will afford us the unobstructed use of all our parking facilities. The grading and resurfacing of these decks will enable the drainage system as runoff will be directed to the appropriate drain in each sector of our driveway. This virtually unnoticeable surface grading was designed to dispose of the runoff while avoiding the assiduous ponding that afflicted our previous system.

In an effort to inconvenience our residents as little as possible, we decided to perform this task in two sections. The south side of the lower driveway was completed first, after which attention was diverted to the north side. This plan allowed us continuous access to the garage. The remaining work scheduled for the north deck and lower driveway will encompass the removal of the asphalt, rough grading of the deck surfaces, the construction of a planter to mirror the one on the south side, the construction of new curbs, the fine deck grading and the installation of pavers. They will also repair the curb surrounding the large planter adjunctive to the sidewalk. Once done, the parking divisions, directional arrows and center line will be installed. New bumpers will front every parking space created on the lower north deck and lower driveway. Upon completion of the paver installation, the deck will be sealed.

After the driveway construction has been completed, attention will be refocused on a “punch list” of items that require repair. Two infiltrations, one between the south wing planter and the building office and one above the north entrance to the garage elevator lobby, will be corrected. Openings surrounding the louvre vent on the east side of the north garage will be filled. Certain areas that have been identified as prone to ponding in the drive-through and the north deck will be regraded. Damaged pavers around the shower drain on the pool deck will be replaced. Pavers that are cracking around the catch basin at the base of the south deck will be reinstalled after a concrete apron is poured to prevent a recurrence of damage. The errant drains installed on the north deck will be exchanged for their appropriate replacements. The large southeast section of the north deck that received the wrong colored pavers has already been refitted with the correct material. The beach egress will be rehabilitated and repairs will be made to the columns in front of the main entry.

We’re in the final stages of the ten projects endeavored this past year. Despite our efforts to minimize the overall inconvenience, we all eagerly anticipate completion. By combining these projects, we eliminated repetitive demolition and setup expenses, saving the Association literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. SPS hopes to finish all outstanding construction by early July. However, upon completion of the driveway segment within the next two to three weeks (depending upon the weather), the remaining project-related inconvenience should be negligible. Nevertheless, we would like to thank you for your generous patience and kind attention.

Beautification Committee
Louise Collins’ report was read by the Secretary

Louise - Beautification Committee Report!
LOUISE COLLINS
The end is near. We expect to have both the Ladies Room and the Rendezvous Room completed in a few weeks.

We would like to express our thanks to Mr. Jack Veitch. He is an owner in our building and was instrumental in procuring new tables.

It’s wonderful to have a resident take interest in our project. My sincere thanks goes out to Iris Anastasi who took charge in handling the contractors. I thank Fern McBride for accompanying me to Home Depot, Lowe’s and other suppliers. Thanks to the maintenance people: Rob, George, Montcalm, Eddie and Elisma. They did a splendid job. Enjoy a safe and healthy summer.

Housekeeping Chair Dee Lanzillo
Dee Lanzillo
Housekeeping Committee
Dee Lanzillo

Have given Robert, Maintenance Supervisor, a list of my findings from the 20th floor to the basement. Reports were filed for the months of May to June. I have indicated my findings to him in writing and to date very few of these problems have been corrected. I have also notified Mr. Wiley Cotton, Maintenance Chairperson, of my findings and he assured me that he will speak to Robert and make sure that improvements will be made and all problems corrected.



Maintenance Committee
Wiley Cotton’s report read by the Secretary

This month has been a "more normal" month of lots of ordinary maintenance work getting done. Numerous small jobs were done to assist Iris Anastasi in completing the Rendezvous Room. All work that was assigned to the maintenance department has been completed on time. All work that could be done in-house on the men’s and women’s lobby floor bathrooms has been completed ahead of outside contractors’ work. All of the prepping, patching, painting, tile work (walls and floor), fixture installation, and door modification and installation was done in-house. A new security light for the outside beach gate was installed. All work was done in-house, so the only expense was purchasing a new fixture. It is "turtle friendly."

Patching, repairing and repainting work on 75% of the trash rooms on each floor are finished. The janitor rooms, which we usually don’t see, were also done on these floors. The project will be completed next month. New procedures were added to the cleaning and deodorizing work list to improve your personal experiences when you dispose of your trash.

Projects completed during the month include: leak in drain line by garage line repaired; high pressure a/c lines in maintenance shop were replaced; numerous light fixtures and switches were replaced; safety glass was installed around the handle on walk-in door at garage entry to prevent door from being opened without electronic key fob being used; one security camera and transformer were replaced; preventive maintenance was done on garage exhaust fan; trash dumpster was repaired; repaired equipment in exercise room.

The maintenance department was in constant communication with Eric Berkowitz as he finishes up our driveway drainage and resurfacing project. The goal was minimal inconvenience to the owners, and I believe this was accomplished.

Special recognition and thanks go to Mr. Elisma Dorlus, who has been a valuable and reliable employee for 24 1/2 years. He is retiring on June 30, 2004 and the board is hosting a Retirement Luncheon in his honor on July 2, 2004 at noon. I encourage everyone to make a contribution in the envelopes you received as your way of saying thanks for everything you did to make our homes a better place to live.

Screening Committee Chair Margie Nagle
Thanks Members
Screening Committee
Margie Nagle

Purchases: 207 - Lisa and Louis Lanzillo, Jr.; 604 - Elem Rinomato; 908 - Maria Rosar.



Security Report
Joe Anastasi

Joe Anastasi Suggests Uniform Tile on Balconies
JOE - CALL 911
We had a computer glitch which affected the basement lobby door system. This was repaired today. We are working with the company to get all the "bugs" out of the system before they get their final payment.


The President mentioned that everything is going smoothly with the office giving out the key fobs.





We Care Committee
Ofelia Alleguez

Ofelia Alleguez reported the following:

We Care Committee Chair Ofelia Alleguez of Regency Tower Angel Squad
Ofelia Alleguez - Regency
Tower ANGEL SQUAD
April

  • Marian Custer (1902) was in Holy Cross Hospital. Note on bulletin board; card sent; chocolates sent upon her return home.

  • Robert Derham (810) had surgery for a hip replacement at Holy Cross. Note on bulletin board; card sent; follow-up calls during his time in rehab; basket of fruit sent upon his return home.

  • Joe Boghos (1401) passed away on April 20th. Note on bulletin board; card sent; donation sent to St. Nicholas Melkite Building Fund per family wishes.

May

no activity

June

  • Irving Tuman (302) taken to Holy Cross Hospital with a mild stroke. Note on bulletin board; card sent. He is doing better and may be coming home today.

 

Home Page | Archives

Click to Top of Page